Step 1

The first step is to apply for a Registry Issued Marriage Certificate. You can go right ahead and change your name on Facebook and some other places on the day of your wedding, but most legal entities won’t change your name without this official documentation. Please note the decorative certificate you receive after your wedding ceremony is NOT sufficient evidence for most organisations to change your name.

The easiest way to apply for a Registry Issued Marriage Certificate in Victoria is to apply online to Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria. If you are married outside Victoria, you will need to apply to the appropriate Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory in which you were married.

Please note that outside peak wedding season it takes approximately 4 weeks for your marriage to be registered after the ceremony (up to 8 weeks during wedding season, November-March), and it can take a further 2 weeks to produce the marriage certificate. In Victoria, it is best to wait until your marriage is registered before applying for your certificate – I use the online registration system for marriages, so am able to let my couples know as soon as their marriage is officially registered.

Step 2

Once you receive your Registry Issued Marriage Certificate you will then be able to change your name on your Driver’s Licence and Passport. The requirements to change these documents are:

Driver’s Licence
You must visit a VicRoads office and show them:
• Marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
• Your Driver’s Licence (current or expired less than two years ago).

You will need to complete a Passport Renewal Application Form and submit it at your nearest Passport Office, usually a local Post Office.  You will also need to show them:
• Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
• Your current passport.

NOTE: You can still travel on a valid passport in your previous name. In this case, it is recommended that you also obtain your tickets in your previous name – buy your honeymoon tickets in your maiden name!

Step 3

Now that you have your Registry Issued Marriage Certificate and have changed your Driver’s Licence and/or Passport, you should be able to change your name with all other organisations.  The main places people need to change their details are listed below, however this list is not exhaustive and there may be other organisations you need to notify.

Please note these instructions are for couples married in Australia – if you were married overseas there is a different process to follow.